Year 7 Science: Hooke’s Law
Thursday 11 February 2021
Year 7 scientists have been using objects around the home to test Hooke’s Law. You may remember school experiments with clamps, springs, weights and rulers. These pupils are proving it’s possible to conduct rigorous experiments more creatively...
If you'd like to try this yourself, here are Miss Smith's easy-to-follow instructions:
- Secure your band/spring on something sturdy so it hangs down
- Attach a basket (I used a face mask held together with a paper clip)
- Measure the length of the band to start
- Put one of your weights in the basket and measure again
- Do this until you run out of weights or can’t fit more in – or STOP if you think it might snap soon!
- Make sure you write down your results in a table
- Do it again from the start so you have three sets of results