Skiing in Les Deux Alpes
Tuesday 2 May 2017
30 girls, 4 staff and 1 week in the French Alpes = skiing, laughter, tears and panda tans!
After a unsocial start to the day we finally arrived in Les Deux Alpes on Saturday 24 March. The accommodation was perfectly located and the host wonderfully welcoming. Despite the early start girls were in high spirits, and we soon headed off to the piste. Equipped with skis, boots, poles and helmets, we were ready for our first day on the mountain.
Based on experience girls were placed in three groups – beginners, intermediate and advanced – and headed off for the day with their instructors. All had a good first day, except for the beginners who despite making good progress in their technique had a rather blunt instructor whose way with words was perhaps too much for even the most resilient of Q girls!
The remainder of the week went without drama after Oceana arrived for the beginners; her calm reassuring manner, patient pace and lessons in French were just what the group needed. The advanced group camped out at the snowpark and slalom run, with Sophie A taking the prize for biggest air time and Maddy D unsurprisingly clocking the fastest slalom time. The intermediates made excellent progress in their skiing and were soon seen touring the blue and red runs with style.
Evening entertainment was assured thanks to the famous Queenswood ability to have fun anywhere. Highlights included swimming with Marco Polo, ice skating with an ice dance competition (including a rather memorable duet by Mr Burkin and Miss Pratt), a disco dance-off, bowling backwards, sideways and down the gulley, ski presentation and ‘Q’s Got Talent’ with magician Evie, a vase of flowers and a hilarious Year 10 act which stole the show!
The staff are reflecting on a great week with Q girls who really do make the most of the opportunities presented to them and who did the school proud on the mountain. Same time next year girls?
Top Girl on Tour: Grace C
- Best jump: Sophie A
- Most stylish and best slalom: Maddy D
- Fall of the week: Izzy A
- Best panda tan: Anya M
- Conquering the mountain: Lucy W
- Most improved (beginners) Karis W-S
- Most improved (intermediate): Eloise
- Most improved (advanced): Evie B
Most likely to:
Be wearing ski gear: Abigail C
- Lose her suitcase: Georgie I
- Lose everything: Lily G
- Master the panda tan: Anya M
- Win at the arcade: Abi R
- Go home early: Olivia T
- Not have swimwear: Ella T
- Have the best stocked library on tour: Eloise
- Be asking a question or three: Ayowande
- Be cracking eggcellent jokes: Evie B
- Be smiling and skiing the slalom: Maddy D
- Be with Ella: Josie D
- Be with Josie: Ella S
- Be buying gifts: Myla Penny
- Holding her mobile: Karis W-S
- Ski in a vest top when hot: Izzy A
- Be looking rather stylish in the slopes: Sophie A
- Have money left in the bank: Scarlett C
- Plait hair: Lily C-N
- Do more sport this week than she has all year: Grace C
- Be trying to work out her Go Pro accessories: Tabby K
- Want to break the speed limit in her group: Cat K
- Fill up Oceana’s day sack with snacks: Gabby L
- Be sunburnt: Lily L
- Lead the karaoke: Gaby M-P
- Lose her skis: Olivia P
- Choreograph 1234 ski dances: Lucy S
- Bring enough food on tour to feed everyone: Bel S-S
- Be talking: Katie L
- Be Head Girl next year and get stick off the Year 10s(!): Lucy W