Fairtrade Fortnight 2021: Choose the World You Want
Thursday 25 February 2021
Fairtrade Fortnight runs from 22nd February to 7 March this year and Mrs Lee our Head of Practical Cookery is a keen advocate of this global initiative. Here she tells us all about it and shares the Fairtrade Fortnight Recipe Book.
So what is Fairtrade?
Defined simply, it is when producers in developing countries are paid a fair price for their work by companies in developed countries. This allows families to afford life's essentials - like food, education and healthcare.
Here are some Fairtrade facts:
- The Co-op supermarket is one of the biggest supporters of Fairtrade Fortnight and its stores are usually well stocked with Fairtrade products
- 93% of the UK public recognise the Fairtrade logo
- 1 in 4 cups of coffee made in the UK is Fairtrade
- The first ever Fairtrade banana was sold in the UK in the year 2000
- Choosing Fairtrade helps to tackle the climate crisis
- There are over 6,000 products certified by Fairtrade, which include ice cream, flowers, beauty products and even gold!