CHALLENGE 5: Egg-ceedingly Good Cakes
This holiday, we want you to treat your family!
Mrs Lee, our Practical Cookery teacher, has provided a recipe for a simple but delicious chocolate cake.
All you need to do is bake the cake, and then decorate it with an Easter theme. Be sure to take a photo before you devour it!
The most imaginative, tempting creation will win £30 of Amazon vouchers.
The competition closes on Monday 19 April. Good luck!
Chocolate Cake Recipe
- 225g unsalted butter, softened
- 225g caster sugar
- 4 free-range eggs
- 220g self-raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 50g cocoa powder
- Jam for the middle
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Lightly butter two loose-bottomed 20cm/8in sandwich tins and line the bases with baking paper.
- Put the butter, sugar, eggs, flour, baking powder and cocoa in a large bowl and beat until just blended. (An electric mixer is best for this, but you can also beat by hand using a wooden spoon.)
- Divide the mixture evenly between the tins. Level the surface using a spatula.
- Bake for 25–30 minutes. The tops of the cakes should spring back when pressed lightly with a finger. Leave the cakes to cool in the tins for 5 minutes. Run a small palette knife around the edge of the tins, carefully turn the cakes out onto a wire rack. Peel off the paper and leave to cool completely.
Your cakes are now ready to decorate however you like. Here are some suggestions of ‘Easter’ colours to use. You can decorate it simply or go to town. It’s up to you!
Egg-ceedingly Good Cakes: Entry Form